Manipuri Khechi is local variant of commonly known as Khichdi – mixup of rice and lentil cooked with local herbs. Quite easy to make, filling and nutritious it is.
- 2 cups short grain rice / cheng
- 1/2 cup toor dal / hawai mairongbi
- 1/4 cup hawai musori /masoor dal
- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 1 tbs ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup green garlic chopped / maroi nakuppi
- 1 teaspoon ginger crushed / sing asuba
- 5 green chillies / slit lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes /morok asuba
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry bay leaves and green garlic.
- Add ginger, green chillies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Fry till well cooked.
- Add turmeric powder and chilli flakes. Add daal and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water. Cover and continuing heating till dal is cooked.
- Add rice, add 1 cup water and continue heating till rice is cooked.
- Add ghee and mix well.
- Serve manipuri Khichri with salad and curry.