Kallappam is a soft, delicious pancake made with coconut and fermented rice. Toddy is added to carry out the fermentation process. It is a traditional breakfast dish of Kerala, usually served with Vegetable kurma, stew or green peas curry.
- 1 1/2 cups plain rice, washed and soaked for 3 hours
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup toddy
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 -3 shallots
- 2 tablespoons cooked rice
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- To make toddy, pour coconut water and sugar in a clean dry bottle and shake well. Leave it undisturbed for 24 hours.
- Grind soaked rice, grated coconut, cumin seeds, cooked rice, shallots and the toddy to a smooth batter. Add salt and ferment for 6 hours.
- Pour a ladle of batter on a heated non-stick pan, cover it with a lid and cook for about a minute.
- Serve warm Kallappams with vegetable stew or kurma.