Aloo chana madra is a popular yogurt based dish from Himachal Pradesh. Chickpeas and potatoes are cooked with spices in a yogurt gravy. This dish goes well with rice.
- 1 cup Chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 large Potato, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- 3 large Tomatoes, pureed
- 3 tablespoons Cream
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 tablespoon Gram flour
- 1 teaspoon Ajwain
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoons Mustard oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Pressure cook chickpeas with little salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp ajwain.
- Deep fry potato pieces in oil and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil. Fry fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, ajwain and remaining powdered spices for 30 seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and roast. Add tomato puree and cook until oil separates.
- Beat together curd, cream and gram flour and add. Bring to boil.
- Add boiled chickpeas, fried potatoes and salt. Mix and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust consistency with water.
- Garnish with garam masala powder and serve Aloo chana madra hot with rice.