Palakachi Patal Bhaji
Spinach based side dish with besan gravy
- Category: Curry Recipes, Maharashtrian Recipes, Vegetable Recipes
- 2 bunches spinach, washed and cut
- 3 tablespoons besan (channa dal flour)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup split channa dal, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup peanuts, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon dry coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- Pressure cook peanuts and chana dal till soft.
- Dry roast cumin and coconut. Grind and keep aside.
- Blanch spinach in water. Preserve water.
- Heat blanched spinach along with peanuts and chana dal on low heat. Add lump free besan whisked in butter milk. Add 3 cups of spinach water.
- Bring to boil. Stir frequently and cook till it thickens.
- Adjust taste with sugar, salt and chilli powder. Add garam masala and ground coconut.
- Prepare temper by heating oil. Splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, green chilli, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Pour temper over besan preparation and enjoy Palakachi Patal Bhaji hot with millet bread/ bhakri.