Khatta jimikand is a sour and tangy yam dish, commonly prepared in the Pahari region of Himachal Pradesh. It can be served with rice or roti.
- 1 Indian yam or Jimikand, peeled and cubed
- 2 small Onions
- 4 tablespoons Mustard oil
- 2 Green chillies, finely chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Panch phoron spice mix
- 3 Curry leaves
- A pinch Asafoetida or hing
- 2 tablespoons Amchoor powder or Dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat mustard oil. Splutter a pinch of asafetida, panch phoron, curry leaves, onion, garlic, ginger and green chilli. Saute till onions are translucent.
- Add dry masalas- red chilli powder, coriander, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Add yam and stir fry. Add garam masala, cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Adjust taste with amchoor powder and salt.
- Serve Khatta jimikand with rice.