Paddu is also known by other names like Kuzhi paniyaram (Tamil or Malayalam), Guliyappa/Yeriyappa/Gundponglu (Kannada) and Gunta Ponganalu (Telegu / Tulu). Paddu consists of batter made from rice and lentil similar to Dosa and cooked with spices and flavours. It requires special pan with craters.
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup Black gram / Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Split chick peas / chana dal
- 1 teaspoon Flattened rice / poha
- 4 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Onion, medium
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- Wash and soak together the rice, urad dal, chana dal, fenugreek and poha in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and grind.
- Rotate the Paddu and roast it on other side for a minute.
- Add salt and mix well. Cover and leave it to ferment overnight.
- Add finely chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves to the batter.
- Grease paddu tawa / appam tawa and place batter to cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Serve Paddu hot along with coconut or ginger chutney.