Avarekalu Pongal / Avarekalu Huggi or Khara pongal is a healthy nutritious meal option. Made from rice and lentil, spiced with local herbs and field beans, Avarekalu Pongal is not only satisfying to taste buds but also your digestive system.
- 1 cup rice, washed
- 1/2 cup mong daal, washed
- 1/2 cup Avarekalu / field beans, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, crushed gently
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1/3 teaspoon ginger powder / soonth
- Few curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 10 cashew nuts
- Pressure cook rice and moong dal with 2 cups water, turmeric powder, green chillies, curry leaves, avarekalu and soonth.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and few curry leaves.
- Add cashewnuts and roast well.
- Add this hot oil temper over cooked rice.
- Add more water and mix well to soft consistency.
- Add salt and fresh coconut. Mix well.
- Heat on low flame for few minutes till all ingredients blends well.
- Add tbsp ghee and mix to pongal. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Avarekalu pongal hot.