Uppittu or Upma is a popular breakfast item. Avarekalu Uppittu is porridge made from semolina/rava with flavours of local vegetables and Avarukalu /fieldbeans. Avarekalu Uppittu is generally made in winters when there is availability of fresh avarekalu.
- Category: Breakfast Recipes, Kannada Recipes, Mangalorean Recipes
- 3 green chili, slit in half
- 1/2 cup seasonal vegetables (carrot, peas, french beans)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (or as per your taste)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 cup medium rava or semolina
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bengal gram dal or chana dal
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup avarekalu or filed beans, boiled
- Boil Avarekalu in water and little salt till soft. Keep aside.
- Dry roast rava till it turns light brown. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, hing, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add onion and cook till it changes colour.
- Add vegetables. Mix well and cook till vegetables are slightly cooked.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Add avarakalu. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups water and salt. Bring to boil.
- Add roasted rawa. Stir and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and coconut. Mix well.
- Serve Avakalu Uppittu hot as breakfast with hot filter coffee.