Avarekalu obbattu / Avarekalu poli / Avarekalu Holige is a special sweet dish made from Avarekalu / field beans made during winter seasons and especially on Makar sankranti. Avarekalu obbattu is a flat bread stuffed with jaggery and Avarkalu mixture.
- Category: Dessert Recipes, Kannada Recipes, Mangalorean Recipes
- 1 cup Avarekalu/Peeled Field Beans
- 1/2 cup Maida / All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Pressure cook beans with little water for 2 whistles.
- Make soft dough using maida, salt and little water. Allow to rest for an hour.
- Make paste of Beans in mixer. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Melt jaggery to syrup.
- Add beans paste and cardamom powder. Mix and roast well.
- On a plastic sheet or butter paper, take a piece of dough and make round shape with hand.
- Place 2-3 tsp of bean paste in center and pull dough edges to cover the paste.
- Using hands, press sides and make round roti shape.
- Bake this on hot tawa on both sides. Apply ghee while cooking.
- Serve avarekalu Obbattu hot.