Avarekalu usli is an excellent snack / breakfast made from fresh field beans and spices. It is also served as side dish and often made on Makar sankrant in Karanataka. Avarekalu is a winter vegetable and enjoyed well as Avarekalu usli.
- 2 cups Avarekalu - field beans, washed
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilly, broken
- 1/3 teaspoon Asafoetida / hing
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- Lemon juice, as per taste
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds, mustard seeds and hing. Saute.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chillies and onion. Fry till onions change color.
- Add avarekalu, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Grind green chillies, coriander leaves, coconut and cumin seeds to coarse paste.
- Mix this paste with cooked avarekalu. Adjust taste with salt and lemon juice.
- Serve Avarekalu usli hot along with chapati / rice.