This is spicy khichdi recipe from Kathiyawadi in Gujarat made by spicing traditional khichdi with local and seasonal herbs including green garlic.
- 1/4 cup green garlic
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder /jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder / dhaniya powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup green onion / spring onion
- 1 1/4 cups rice
- 4 green chillies, minced
- 1 ginger, inch long, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 3/4 cup dal (of your choice for khichdi)
- Pressure cook rice, dal and 1.5 cups of water to make khichdi. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Fry mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and red chillies.
- Add ginger, green chillies, green garlic, green onions, tomatoes and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add little water, as required. Mix. Cover and cook for few minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. You may temper with hot ghee and fried cumin seeds.
- Serve Kathiyawadi lasaniya masala khichdi with curd and papad.