Hyderabadi bagara baingan
Eggplant stuffed, cooked and tempered with hyderabadi spices
- 10 Baby eggplants
- 4 tablespoons Ground nut Oil
- 1 Onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds (white)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Nigella / kalonji
- 5 Dry red chilli
- 1/4 cup Groundnuts / peanuts
- 1/4 cup Channa dal / Bengal gram
- 3/4 cup Desiccated coconut
- 4 Kashmiri red chillies (soaked in water)
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons Tamarind paste
- Garlic flakes: few
- Curry leaves: few
- salt to taste
- Wash the baby eggplants and make + cut in centre keeping stem intact. Soak in salted water and keep aside.
- Roast chana dal, peanut, seasame seeds, dessicated coconut and coriander seeds. Blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Drain eggplants and pat dry. Stuff them with mixture. Keep some stuffing spare for gravy.
- Heat 2 tbsp groundnut oil. Temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, garlc flakes, dry chilli and curry leaves.
- Reduce heat. Pan fry stuff eggplants and cook for 10 -15 minutes till tender. Remove eggplants and keep aside.
- Roast onions and ginger - garlic in a ½ spoon of oil. Grind them along with red chillies to make smooth paste. Oil fry paste for few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and the remaining stuffing mix. Fry gently for few more minutes till oil separates.
- Add diluted tamarind paste to gravy. Add salt and mix well. Add some water and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and gently place the eggplants in it. Simmer for few minutes till done.
- Serve Hyderabadi bagara baingan with roti.