Kovil puliyodharai, served as prasad in temples have an exotic taste and aroma. It is a delicious combination of cooked rice, tamarind extract and spices.
- 10 cashews nuts
- Gingelly oil
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, powdered
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dhal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 2 teaspoons groundnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds
- Cooked rice
- Few curry leaves
- Tennis ball sized tamarind, soaked in water
- 1 teaspoon Asafetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat gingelly oil, temper with the ingredients for pulikkachal - dal and spices.
- When they turn golden brown, add the tamarind pulp and boil.
- Add salt and stir frequently until it becomes a paste.
- Add pulikkachal, black pepper and little gingelly oil to cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve Kovil puliyodharai warm.