Kashmiri dum aloo
Small potatoes cooked in spicy curry
- Category: Curry Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Kashmiri Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Potato Recipes
- 500 grams potatoes unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 grams chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
- 4 dried red Kashmiri chillies, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black cardamom seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Oil to deep fry the potatoes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain yoghurt
- Chopped coriander, ground fennel and Kashmiri chilli flakes to garnish
- Soak potatoes in cold salted water for 15 minutes. Pierce with fork and deep fry till golden. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add all of the ground spices, concentrated tomato purée, fresh ginger and garlic. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add chopped tomatoes, 1.25 cup water, salt and sugar. Stir. Add the potatoes and mix again. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
- Allow curry to cool. Add honey and yogurt. Add ground fennel seeds. Stir.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander, ground fennel and Kashmiri chilli flakes. Serve Kashmiri dum aloo.