Chainsoo is black gram dal preparation from hilly Uttarakhand region, particularly in cold winter season. Black gram dal is rich in protein but equally difficult to digest. Roasting helps digestability of this lentil.
- Category: Curry Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Garhwali Recipes, Kumaoni Recipes, Lunch Recipes
- 1 cup Black Gram dal / Sabud Kali Urad dal
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 Black pepper
- 4 whole Red chillies
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander seed powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillies powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Dry roast urad dal in a pan for 3-5 minutes. Coarsely grind the dal.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry garlic till light brow. Add cumin seeds, red chillies,black pepper and hing.
- Add dal powder and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add powder spices - turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder.
- Add water and salt. Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook till dal is soft. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Chainsoo dal hot along with steamed rice and ghee.