Thechwani is prepared from crushed radish or potatoes. The recipe does not involve cutting vegetable but crushing (thinchao) into pieces.
- 1 Ginger piece, inch long
- 3 radish root, washed and peeled
- 1 potato, washed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 garlic cloves,
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dry Faran / Cummin seeds
- 4 whole red chillies
- 1 pinch hing / Asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1/2 Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillies powder
- Crush potatoes and radish into pieces. Keep aside.
- Grush ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- Heat half oil. Stir fry ginger garlic along with radish and potatoes. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add remaining oil and splutter cumin seeds, hing and red chillies.
- Add onion and fry till brown. Add remining spice powders.
- Add stir fried crushed vegetables, tomatoes. Add salt and little water.
- Bring to boil and add remaining water (as per consistency required).
- Simmer on slow heat for 15-20 minutes till radish is soft.
- Barnish with coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- Serve Thechwani hot along with roti and curd.