Dal makhani or dal makhni originates from Punjab region. It is prepared from urad dal, rajma and lots of butter which adds richness. Makhana is often added to add creamy texture to this dal.
- 2 cups Whole Black Gram/ urad dal
- 1/4 cup Kidney beans / Rajma
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 2 Cardamom green
- 2 Cinnamon sticks, inch long
- 4 tomatoes, pureed / 2 cup puree
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- Coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 cup makhana, roasted
- Pressure cook dals with sufficient water and some salt. Take 6-7 whistles to cook dal properly.
- Mash dal till to get creamy texture.
- Heat butter. Temper cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom green and cinnamon stick.
- Add chopped onion and green chilli. Fry onion till soft.
- Add tomato puree and mix with red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Cook till mixture boils and oil starts separating.
- Add mashed dal and mix well.
- Add roasted makhana in the end. Mix well and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, some butter / milk cream. Serve dal makhani hot with steamed rice.