Quite simple to make, Avarekalu Koddel is field beans cooked in coconut gravy. Avarekalu koddel is popular in Udipi region in Karnataka and Konkan region in Maharashtra.
- 1 cup Avarekalu / Field Beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 3 dry red chillies
- Pressure cook beans till soft. Avoid overcooking
- Grind cococunt along with red chillies, salt and tamarind. Add little water if required to make a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Roast coconut paste for a minute.
- Add beans and water. Bring to boil.
- Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt.
- To temper the Avarekalu koddel, heat oil and fry mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions and garlic.
- Add temper to koddel. Serve Avarekalu koddel with steamed rice.