Carrots are generally harvested in winters. Markets are flooded with fresh red carrots during the season. Gajar ka murabba is good way to preserve healthy carrots for off season.
- 1 kilogram carrots
- 600 grams sugar
- 1 Star anise
- 5 whole Cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Peel carrots, remove crown. Prick carrots using a fork. Remove excess core - so you may either cut carrots length wise or circular pieces.
- Heat carrots in water just enough to cover them up. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes till carrots are tender.
- Drain carrots and keep aside. Water is nutritious and may be used for making soup or other food.
- Once carrots cool little mix well with sugar. Leave aside for few hours to marinate.
- Heat the mixture till sugar forms thick syrup.
- Add spices and lemon juice.
- Store in air tight container.
- Serve gajar ka murabba as side dish or dessert.