A Kerala style side dish made with cowpeas
- 250 grams Cowpeas
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil as required
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3 Shallots, sliced
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and sauté onions till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Stir well.
- Add tomato and sauté till the tomato is mushy.
- Add cowpeas, salt and saute for a minute.
- Pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add shallot, few curry leaves and sauté. Add this seasoning to the curry.
- Serve Vanpayar curry with rice.