Chena Kofta Curry
Crispy cottage cheese balls served in spicy gravy
- Category: Bengali Recipes, Curry Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Lunch Recipes
- 1 liter milk
- 1 small potato boiled and mashed
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped or pureed
- 2 tablespoons Semolina
- 2 1/2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cinammon
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely grated or paste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Seasoning (cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder)
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Cashews (roughly chopped) and raisins for stuffing
- Oil for frying
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Boil milk. Separate whey by adding lemon juice. Sieve chena using muslin cloth. Wash with cold water while scrubbing. Place under weight for 30 minutes till water drains out. Refrigerate chena.
- Crumble chena along with boiled mashed potatoes, semonlina, salt and seasoning. Mash well.
- Make small balls of mixture by placing cashews and nuts in center. Deep fry kofta balls till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter whole spices, cumin seeds, hing and ginger. Fry cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli and turmeric powder in 2 tbsp water till oil separates.
- Add tomatoes and fry till mushy. Add yogurt and stir.
- Add salt, sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil. Adjust consistency.
- Add kofta to the gravy. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve Chena Kofta Curry hot with roti.