Sun-dried black nightshade in tamarind and coconut curry
- 1 tablespoon manathakkali vathal / sun-dried Black Nightshade
- 1/2 cup coconut paste
- Lemon sized tamarind ball soaked in cup of water for half hour, pulp extracted
- 1 onion, medium sized chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons vathal kuzhambu powder / sambar powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- tsp mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion vadagam
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil. Temper mustard seeds, vadagam, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds.
- Fry chopped onions, manathakkali vathal and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well.
- Add tomato. Mash. Add turmeric powder, vathal kuzhambu powder and stir.
- Add tamarind water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cup of water and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut paste and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes till curry has thick consistency.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu hot with rice.