Urad dal prepared in Awadhi way
- 1/2 cup urad dal, washed and soaked in water overnight
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cardamom pods. crushed
- salt to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- few blanched almonds, cut in halves
- Pressure cook soaked dal along with turmeric powder, cardamom pods, ghee, milk, salt and half cup water until dal is just done and not mushy.
- Once pressure is released, whisk dal.
- Heat ghee and crackle cumin seeds. Fry onion, ginger and garlic paste till light brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder and garam masala. Mix till tomatoes are soft.
- Add dal once oil starts separating. Stir.
- Adjust taste with salt.
- Garnish with almond slices and coriander leaves. Serve shahi urad dal hot with rice or roti.