Sour and Spicy Bitter melon Curry
- 3 cups bitter gourd, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 red onions, halved and finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 15 curry leaves
- 4 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste, dissolved in 3/4 cup water
- Boil bitter melon in water along with onion, tomato, green chillies, tamarind water and salt.
- Once it boils, add ground chilli powder and turmeric powder. Simmer till vegetables soften and water evaporates.
- Temper with hot oil and fried mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Serve Pavakka Mulakittadu hot with rice.