Maavadu is pickle made from tender baby mangoes. It is common in South India. Mangoes harvested in summer are pickled for rest of the year. It is best side dish for Curd rice.
- 1 kilogram Vadu maangai / baby mangoes, lemon sized
- 50 grams Mustard seeds
- 6 Long dried red chilies
- 4 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 150 grams Salt
- Soak mustard seeds, dried chilies, Turmeric powder and salt in water.
- Wash baby mangoes / maavadu. Dry them till all moisture is gone.
- Grind soaked items to fine paste.
- Take clean, dry and sterilized glass jar. Add oil, maavadus and ground paste.
- Close jar and place it sunlight. Shake jar everyday.
- In week's time, Maavadu pickle is ready.