A delicious traditional Kerala dish with the tanginess of mangoes, richness of coconut and the flavors of spices. This recipe goes well with rice.
- 2 cups cucumber chopped
- 2 green chillies, vertically slit
- 2 teaspoons red chilly powder
- Turmeric powder
- 1 cup raw mango slices
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 shallots
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilly powder
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Cook cucumber pieces, turmeric powder, chilli powders and salt in 2 cups water for 8-10 minutes.
- Add raw mango slices and salt. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Grind coconut, shallots, cumin seeds, turmeric powder to a smooth paste and add it to the cooked cucumber-mango mix.
- Add half cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour a tempering of hot coconut oil wit hfried mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves over the curry.
- Serve vellarikka pulinkari warm with steamed rice.