Spicy curry made from yellow moong dal, from Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu.
- 2 Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- 1 Curry leaf sprig
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 4 Garlic pods
- 2 Onion
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon, inch stick
- 1/2 cup yellow moong Dal / Paasi Paruppu
- Roasted Gram Dal / Pottu Kadalai – 1 handful
- 2 teaspoons Poppy seeds
- 12 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 4 Garlic pods for paste
- Pressure cook moong dal with water and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder till soft and keep aside.
- Boil the potatoes. Cool and peel off the skin. Lightly crumble with your fingers and keep aside.
- Grind roasted gram dal, poppy seeds, green chillies, grated coconut and Garlic pods to fine paste with little water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cinnamon, cloves, finely chopped onion, 4 pods crushed garlic, curry leaves and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the cooked moong dal, 1 to 1-1/2 cups of water, salt and the remaining turmeric powder and bring it to a boil.
- Add crumpled potatoes, ground paste and once again bring it to a boil.
- Remove from stove and add juice of 1 lemon and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with idlis, dosas or puris.