Pot rice cooked with bengal gram.
- 1/2 cup Kabuli chana dal, soaked for hour
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium sized onions, finely sliced
- 4 crushed garlic
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- Ginger, half inch piece
- 3/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron/kesar dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
- salt as required
- Boil chana dal with 1.5 cup water, salt and turmeric powder till chana is cooked.
- Heat basmati rice along with salt and water till rice is almost cooked.
- Heat oil. Fry onion till light brown. Drain half onions and keep aside. In remaining onions, fry ginger garlic for 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and stir slowly. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chana dal. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep chana dal gravy aside.
- In large pot, make alternate layers of rice, chana dal and layer of chopped mint, coriander, green chillies and fried onions.
- Place rice in topmost layer with some saffron milk. Cover pot with lid and seal with wheat dough. Cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve qabooli biryani hot with raita.