Shrikhand is popular sweet dish from Maharashtra made from hung curd. This Peru shrikhand recipe is simple recipe using not so common Peru / guava fruit flavour. Peru flavor has become popular with juices and ice cream.
- 2 cups yogurt/ dahi
- 1 large guava, ripe
- 1/2 cup Sugar / jaggery, as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Place a colander over a container. Place muslin cloth over colander and add yogurt / dahi.
- Let whey to drain and collect in container.
- Bring together edges of the cloth and squeeze excess water. Place a knot and keep it hanging above kitchen sink. Leave it for about an hour or more.
- Remove this hung curd / chakka from muslin cloth and place in a bowl. Refrigerate till we use.
- Peel the guava, remove seeded part of pulp and cut into small pieces.
- Heat sugar in a pan. As it starts melting, add guava pieces. Mix well.
- Continue heating in sugar syrup till guava becomes soft.
- Stop heating and allow to cool. Separate sugar syrup and add this to hung curd.
- Grind remaining cooked guava to fine paste.
- Mix this guava paste with hung curd.
- Adjust taste using sugar.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Refrigerate and serve peru shrikhand!