Phanu is lentil curry from hills of Uttarakhand. It is similar to other hilly recipes like Chainsoo; just that recipe uses soaked dals. Variety of dals – gahat, arhar, moong can be used for making Phaanu.
- 1 cup Gahat/ Kulath / Horse gram
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 ginger piece, a half inch long
- 3 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon Jakhiya/ jeera / Cummin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1/4 teaspoon haldi / Turmeric powder
- Salt, as per taste
- Soak gahat dal in sufficient water overnight.
- Wash dal to remove seed coat. Grind to thick paste along with green chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Heat tava and spread half of the dal paste to make thick dal pancakes/cutlets.
- Mix remaining dal paste with water to make mixture of pouring consistency.
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds. Add dal mixture, turmeric powder, coriander seed powder and salt.
- Cover and cook on slow heat for 10 minutes.
- Add dal pancake to gravy and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add little water if required and bing to boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and ghee.
- Serve phaanu with hot rice and ghee.