Spiny gourd is commonly known as Kheksi in Central India including Chattishgarh. This Kheksi ki bhijia is simple yet common way of making use of this seasonal vegetable in culinary use.
- 250 grams Kheksi / spiny gourd, outer surface scraped and chopped finely
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmerc powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1/2 Red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Mustard seed oil
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seed and red chillies
- Add and fry onions and kheksi. Stir.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in between.
- Add spice powder. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Adjust taste with salt.
- Serve Kheksi ki bhujia with roti.