Mulakooshyam is a very easy to prepare dish that is usually prepared when someone is feeling unwell. Kaya mulakooshyam is a popular Kerala dish made with ingredients such as raw banana, pepper, Kokum and spices. It goes well with rice / kanji.
- 2 small Raw Banana / ethakkaya, cut into medium-sized cubes
- 12 Pearl onions
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Whole pepper corns
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilly powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 2 Kudam Puli /Kokum, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Crush whole pepper corns, pearl onion and garlic into a coarse mixture.
- Dry roast chilly powder, coriander powder and the above mixture.
- Add 1.5 cups of water, kudam puli/kokum pieces, few curry leaves, enough salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the raw plantain cubes and cook covered for about 15 – 20 minutes at medium heat.
- Add coconut oil and a few curry leaves, close with the lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Serve Kaya mulakooshyam hot with rice / kanji.