Bhat Karelar pur or also known as Kakrol pur is special recipe from West Bengal. Bhat Karelar pur are fritters made by stuffing spiny gourd with local spices (read mustard seeds).
- 6 Bhat Karela (Kantola / teasel gourd)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup rice powder
- 1 tablespoon besan
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- 1 Onion, chopped
- Scrape the surface and cut into half. Cook in boiling water with salt for 5-10 minutes till soft.
- Once cooked, using a spoon scrape the inner seeds to make a cup. Keep aside. Preserve the scraped inner seeds.
- Grind mustard seeds along with green chillies and garlic cloves to make a fine paste.
- Make batter by mixing rice powder and besan with sufficient water. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Adjust consistency with water or corn flour. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and fry chopped onion and few mustard seeds.
- Add mustard paste and scaped inner seeds.
- Add tumeric powder and salt. Saute till paste dries up.
- Allow this mixtue to cool and fill bhat karela cups with mixture.
- Heat oil for frying. Dunk the stuffed bhat karela in besan batter and fry in hot oil.
- Strain and serve Bhat Karelar pur with chutney of your choice.