Thouthe koddel is sour spicy curry using manglore cucumber or madras cucumber. Madras cucumber is also known as Thouthe in Tulu, Southekai in Kannda and Mogem in Konkani.
- 2 cups Thouthe/Mangalore cucumber, cubed
- 3/4 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 4 dry red chillies, roasted
- 1 piece Tamarind, marble piece soaked in ater
- Salt, as per taste
- Jaggery, as per taste
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Grind coconut, tamarind and dry red chillies to fine paste. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook thouthe with 1.5 cup water and little salt for 1 whistles.
- Add water to thouthe and bring to boil.
- Add coconut paste. Mix well. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Adjust taste with salt and jaggery.
- Temper with hot oil, fried garlic, curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Serve Thouthe Koddel with steamed rice.