Kolmbo is spicy lentil curry similar to south Indian Sambhar recipe made in Konkan region. This particular recipe uses pumpkin as one of the ingredients in making this traditional kolmbo recipe.
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal / bengalgram dal
- 1/4 teaspoon toor dal
- 1/2 tablespoon urad dal / black gram dal
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- Few methi seeds / fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 pepper corns
- 1 pinch hing powder / asafoetida
- 4 red chillies
- 2 tablespoons coconut, grated
- 1/4 kilogram pumpkin, cubed
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1 tomato, chopped into big pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Tamarind pulp
- Few Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Dry roast masala ingredients till aromatic. Grind to coarse powder when cool.
- Pressure cook toordal along with pumpkins till mushy, keep aside.
- Mix cooked dal along with water, chopped tomatoes, 2 tsp masala powder and bring to boil.
- Adjust taste with salt and tamarind pulp. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Season with hot oil, fried mustard and curry leaves.