Churakka Parippu Curry is a simple and delicious dish with the nutritive benefits of bottle gourd and lentils. It is a wonderful accompaniment to steamed rice.
- 1 1/2 cups churakka/bottle gourd washed, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup split moong dal, dry roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup coconut grated
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 shallot
- 2 green chillies
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 sliced shallots
- 2 dry red chillies
- A few sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Cook dry roasted split moong dal, bottle gourd, water, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies, shallots and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste, chilly powder and salt to the cooked dal and boil for 2 minutes.
- Temper the dal with mustard seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and shallots.
- Serve churakka parippu curry warm with steamed rice.