Kuvale Puli Koddel is a sweet, tangy and spicy curry with flavours of coconut and Ash gourd (kuvale). It is a common dish served during festivals and religous functions in Konkan and Manglore region and often made without onion/garlic.
- 2 cups Ash gourd / Kuvale, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 5 Dried red chilles
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 piece Tamarind, marble sized
- Jaggery, as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Roast in little coconut oil the masala ingredients : Urad dal, Chana dal, Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, dry Red chilly, Sesame seeds and grated Coconut
- Grind roasted ingredients along with turmeric powder, soaked Tamarind and crushed jaggery to make a coarse masala paste. Keep aside.
- In a pan, bring 1 cup of water to boil and add ash gourd pieces. Cover and cook till ash gourd is cooked.
- Add salt, ground paste and mix well. Cook for further 5 minutes.
- Season the dish with hot coconut oil along with fried mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Serve Kuvale puli koddel with steamed rice!