Mangalore Southekai or Madras Cucumber or Magge is an healthy vegetable. Full of fibers, it is powerhouse of minerals. Magge Koddel is simple spicy curry made from Madras Cucumber.
In Kerala, Madras cucumber (Kani Vellari) is place near the Sreekrishna Idol for viewing the early morning Vishu kani (view) on the Hindu religious festival day of Vishu in Kerala.
- 2 cups Magge / Yellow cucumber, cubed
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 4 red chillies, roasted in little oil
- Tamarind pulp, small ball
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Grind grated coconut, red chillies and tamarind to fine paste with little water. Keep aside.
- Boil and cook magge till tender.
- Add masala paste, salt and bring to boil.
- Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt.
- Season with hot oil along with fried mustard seeds.
- Serve Magge Koddel along with rice.