Sundal is popular spiced lentil preparation made during festivals as offering to God. Mochai payaru sundal is simple spiced stir fried boiled broad beans.
- 1 cup mochai payaru / dried broad beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 hing / asafoetida
- 3 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Sundal podi / sundal powder (spice mix from urad dal, channa dal and salt)
- Pressure cook mochai payaru with water, salt and asafoetida for 2 whistles. Strain and keep aside boiled beans.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add beans and mix.
- Add coconut and sundal podi. Mix well.
- Serve Mochai Sundal as snack or side dish with roti.