Palakkottai Kuzhambu is a flavor packed curry cooked with jackfruit seeds in a coconut and tamarind based gravy. It tastes great with rice.
- 10 Jackfruit seeds
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida /hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi seeds / fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal
- Sambar powder
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- A lemon sized ball of Tamarind, soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- Crush the jackfruit seeds slightly, de-skin and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add methi seeds, cumin seeds, hing, turmeric powder, curry leaves, cooked jackfruit seeds and sambhar powder. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add tamarind extract and salt and cook until the gravy becomes thick.
- Serve Palakkottai kozhambu hot with rice and appalam.