Lentil and vegetable curry made in Goan style with spices and coconut.
- 125 grams toor dal
- 200 grams green beans, trimmed and halved
- 80 grams carrots, peeled and cubed
- 150 grams potato, par boiled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon tirphal berries / Sichuan pepper, coarsely crushed
- 3 drumsticks, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Curry leaves - few
- 4 dried kokum petals, soaked in warm water
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- Pinch of turmeric
- 125 grams channa dal
- 100 grams Coconut, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ginger, inch long
- 10 dried kashmiri chillies
- 10 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- Grind coconut along with ginger, dried chillies, peppercorns and turmeric powder to coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook lentils along with water till cooked. Add salt and turmeric powder to dal. Mash roughly. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry coconut paste till oil separate.
- Add mashed dal continue heating. Add coriander powder, jaggery, tirphal berries, salt, kokum petals, carrots and beans. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and drumstick. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve Goan Khatkhate with rice and pickle