Chutagi is a traditional Ladakhi pasta from Ladakh region. Chutagi has typical shape flour pasta cooked with local vegetables. Tastes great and must have when you visit Leh.
- Wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 Onion, chopped finely
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup spring onion / fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic pods, minced
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Knead flour into a tight dough with water. Allow to rest for some time.
- Take a piece of dought and roll into flatbread / roti shape. With round cookie cutter, cut small round shape.
- Pull, roll into cyclindrical shape and pull edges to make bow tie shaped pasta.
- Cook pasta in boiling water (salt and little turmeric added) for about 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan. Splutter cumin seeds.
- Add and fry onions till it changes colour.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and cook well till soft. (You may prefer to blend this tomato, onion mixture into nice red gravy)
- Add vegetables - cauliflower, potatoes, peas along with a cup of water and turmeric powder.
- Add cooked pasta. Adjust consistency with water. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve Chutagi hot.