Mar in Ladakhi means butter and Zan means food. Marzan is ceremonial food prepared from roasted barley flour to celebrate birth of a new baby in the family with social acquaintances. Marzan is quite similar to barley cake to celebrate the occasion. Marzan is very traditional to people in Ladakh and Baltistan.
- Category: Ladakhi Recipes
- Barley Flour
- Heat water in a pan with little flour and salt.
- As it boils, place all flour over the boiling water. Do not stir.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir with wooden spatula so that it has uniform consistency.
- While still hot, mould the dough into cup like shape.
- Pour melted butter in the center of Marzan..