Gosale Ambat is spicy curry made in Konkani kitchen using ridge gourd, coconut and local spices.
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/4 cup coconut, grated
- 2 ridgegourd / gosale, ridges cut and chopped in cubes
- 3 red chillies
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 pieces tamarind
- 4 teppal / sichuan peppers, seed discarded, soaked in water
- 1/2 mustard seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- Serve Gosale Ambat hot with rice.
- Grind coconut, red chilies, tamarind and turmeric powder to smooth paste.
- Pressure cook tur dal with a cup of water for 3-4 whistles.
- Once pressure is released, add chopped ridgegourd, coconut paste, salt and crushed teppal. Mix well.
- Bring to boil. Cover and cook till ridge gourd is cooked.
- Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt.
- Temper this with hot oil and fried mustard seeds, dried red chilly and curry leaves.