Makhana – also known as fox nuts, lotus seeds, gorgon nuts or phool makhana. These puffed seeds are often used as healthy snack alternative and also used in recipes including kheer, raita or curry. Bihar is largest producer of makhana in India. Makhana Kheer is a popular and quick dessert.
- Category: Bihari Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Jhakhand Recipes
- 2 cups makhana
- 5 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dry fruits for garnish - almonds, cashew nuts, pitachios, rasins - dry roasted and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seed powder
- 2 -3 strands of saffron, soaked in little milk
- Dry roast makhana till crisp. Grind half makhana to coarse powder. Keep aside
- Boil milk and reduce till two third.
- Add roasted whole makhana and crushed dry fruits to milk. Continue boiling for 5-10 minutes
- Add sugar, makhana powder, cardamom powder, boil for another 2 min.
- Remove from heat, cool and serve chilled.