Ragi millet has been used in many places in Western India. This millet is nutrient dense and is rich in calcium. The millet flour has typical earthy taste and blends well with chocolate flavour. Try out this simple cake recipe using Ragi / nachni flour with chocolate flavour.
- Always roast the Ragi flour to get rid of the distinct bitter taste
- Never use a strong fragrance oil like groundnut or sesame oil.
- All the ingredients have to be on room temperature.
- Category: Baking Recipes, Chef Special
- 1/2 cup dry roasted Ragi flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Choco powder
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 2/3 cup jaggery/ sugar
- 1/3 cup curd
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 -5 drops of Vanilla essence (Optional)
- Preheat the cooker without the ring and the whistle. Grease the cake tin or place a butter paper.
- Mix the curd and Jaggery and keep it aside. Let the jaggery get dissolved totally in the curd.
- Mix Oil in this mixture and mix it well. Now you need to add the dry ingredients. Sieve the ragi flour, milk powder and choco powder and then add it to the curd, jaggery, oil mixture. Mix well to make a smooth batter.
- Add Baking powder, Baking soda and Vanilla essence to the batter and mix using the cut and hold method with the help of the spatula. Add milk as required.
- Pour the mixture to the greased tin. Tap the cake tin on the kitchen platform.
- Place the cake in the preheated cooker and close the lid (lid will be without the ring and whistle.
- Check the cake by piercing it after 15-20 minutes. When cake is baked, skewer comes out clean.