Red amaranth leaves are seasonal and packed with nutrients. This spicy curry made in Konkan is excellent way of enjoying this nature’s delight. Padipe Koddel / Red Amaranth leaves curry is quite simple to make.
- Category: Curry Recipes, Konkani Recipes, Mangalorean Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups Red Amaranth/ Padipe / Harive soppu, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery, optional
- 1 cup Coconut, grated
- 3 dry red chilies
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Seeds
- Tamarind - A marble size
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Grind dry red chillies, coconut and tamarind to coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Cook the leaves in a cup of water on a low heat.
- Once cooked, add coconut paste with little water.
- Adjust taste with salt and jaggery.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Temper the preparation with hot oil, fried mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Serve Padipe Koddel with rice.