Ambula is dried mango marinated with salt and chilli powder. It is common in Odia kitchen. This is simplest of dish with Ambula as key ingredient combining it with other popular mustard seeds. Ambula rai is sweet savory side dish for rice and pulao.
- Category: Chutney Recipes, Oriya Recipes
- 2 tablespoons Mustard seeds, soaked in water for 30 min
- 1/2 inch Ginger, cut into pieces
- 1 Green chilli, chopped
- 4 Ambula, cut into pieces and soaked in water
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Pancha Phutana / Odia 5 spice mixture
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil
- Salt: As per taste
- 1/2 cup Coconut, fresh grated
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Grind soaked mustard, green chillies, ginger into coarse paste. Add little water if required. Allow it to rest for a while.
- Add the ambula pieces, yogurt, mustard paste, grated coconut, sugar and salt together. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter pand phutana, chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this hot oil mixture over ambula mixture.
- Ambula rai is ready to be served as side dish.