Lilva Nu Bhaat is a simple recipe of rice cooked along with seasonal vegetables and local spices. Surti Lilva or papdi vaal or green flat beans is common in Gujarat region in winters. Undhiyo is another popular recipe made using lilva. This recipe is spiced using green garlic or lila lasan also available during the same period.
- 1 cup Surti lilva / papdi val / green flat beans
- 1 1/2 cups rice, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 sticks cinnamon / dalchini, inch long
- 2 cloves / laung
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup garlic greens / lila lasan
- 4 green chillies
- 1 ginger, inch long
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Grind Coriander leaves, garlic leaves, green chillies and ginger to fine paste. Keep aside.
- Roast cinnamon and cloves in little ghee for 30 seconds.
- Add rice, vaal, green paste and salt. Mix well.
- Add 2.5 cups water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Serve Lilva no bhaat / lilva rice along with kadhi.