Tangy soup made from lentils cooked along with tomato and tamarind
- 1 cup split pigeon pea lentils
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 8 garlic, finely chopped
- 3 dry red chilies, kept whole or broken & deseeded
- salt as required
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- 3 green chilies, chopped or slit
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind soaked in ½ cup water for 30 mins
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- Rinse the dal well. Pressure cook the dal with the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and a pinch of turmeric powder, 2.5 cups water for 7-8 whistles or more till the lentils are cooked and mushy. Blend / mash dal till smooth.
- Squeeze the pulp from the tamarind directly into its bowl of water. Strain tamarind pulp and add to dal.
- Add the green chilies, turmeric, red chili and coriander powder. Stir in the a cup water along with salt.
- Heat dal on low flame. Cover and keep the cooked dal aside.
- Temper dal with hot oil, fried cumin seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and asfoetida.
- Serve khatti dal with steamed rice preparation or roti.